Medicinal uses of Turmeric
Turmeric has been used as an important medicinal plant since time immemorial. Documented proofs at least 6000 years old have confirmed the same. Owing to its curative properties, herbal experts have regarded turmeric as the greatest gifts of Mother Nature.
Turmeric is very useful in treating cardiovascular and gastrointestinal disorders. It has antioxidant, hepatoprotective, anti-inflammatory, anti carcinogenic, and antimicrobial properties. Turmeric helps stimulate all functions and clear channels. It is very good for skin afflictions and enhances skin complexion.
According to ancient Hindu text of Atharveveda, turmeric was a curative drug used to treat skin diseases, graying of hair and jaundice. Another ancient Hindu text, Susruta Samhita, included turmeric in the group of drugs that help treat vaginal and uterine diseases, disorders of breast milk, digestive and many other diseases.
In ancient Chinese culture, turmeric was used to treat chest, abdominal pain and destention, jaundice, frozen shoulder, amenorrhoea due to blood stasis, and postpartem abdominal pain due to stasis.
Medicinal properties of Turmeric
- Analgesic Action: Powdered Turmeric rhizome is very effective in treating sprains and inflammations. It is very useful in treating all kinds of painful traumatic conditions and deep rooted pains.
- Anti-Inflammatory Action: Due to its known attributes of hot potency and anti inflammatory properties, Turmeric cures the etiological factors and pathological changes of inflammation.
- Healing Property: Turmeric is an effective wound healing medicine that helps treat all kinds of chronic and acute wounds.
- Antidiabetic Property: Based on ancient Hindu texts, turmeric’s anti diabetic properties have been known for more than 4000 years. The irritant, drying and antiphlegm properties of turmeric helps treat all kinds of diseases associated with metabolism and fat deposition.
- Anthelmintic Property: Turmeric juice has anthelmintic properties which is useful in destroying parasitic worms.
- Turmeric in Respiratory Diseases: Due to turmeric’s anti-inflammatory and antipurulent, it is very useful in treating respiratory system diseases. Traditionally it has been prescribed for treating rhinitis, bronchitis and cough.
- Turmeric in Urinary Diseases: Curcumin an active ingredient in Turmeric, is very helpful in treating renal disorders. Antiseptic, pungent, bitter and hot properties of turmeric are very effective in treating various urinary disorders.
- Turmeric in Liver Diseases: Turmeric is very useful in treating liver related diseases such as jaundice and infective hepatitis.
- Turmeric in Digestive System: Turmeric is antiflatulent, digestive, and stimulant due to its hot potency. It acts as a carminative and protective against intestinal gas formation.
- Turmeric in Ophthalmic Care: Turmeric is very effective in treating various eye related diseases such as ophthalmia, conjunctivitis and cataractogenesis.
- Antitumor and Anti cancerous Activity: Traditionally turmeric has been used to remedy enlargement of neck glands. It neutralizes carcinogenic free radicals and produces anti cancer properties.
Duke (2003) created an exhaustive list of 137 known and reported illnesses which can be treated with turmeric. This list included
|Abscess||Cancer – esophagus||Duodenosis||Hyper lipidemia||Polyp|
|Adenoma||Cancer – joint||Dysgeusia||Hysteria||Psoriasis|
|Adenosis||Cancer – liver||Dysmenorrhea||Immunodepression||Puerperium|
|Allergy||Cancer – mouth||Dyspepsia||Infection||Radiation injury|
|Alzheiner’s||Cancer – skin||Dysuria||Inflammation||Restenosis|
|Amenorrhea||Cancer – stomach||Eczemia||Itch||Rheumatism|
|Anorexia||Cancer – uterus||Edema||Jaundice||Rhinosis|
|Athlete’s foot||Chest ache||Epistaxis||Leishmania||Sore|
|Bowen’s disease||Coma||Gastrosis||Morning sickness||Swelling|
|Cancer – abdomen||Cramp||Hematuria||Nervousness||Vertigo|
|Cancer – bladder||Cystosis||Hemorroid||Ophthalmia||Vomiting|
|Cancer – breast||Dermatosis||Hepatosis||Osteoarthrosis||Wart|
|Cancer – cervix||Diabetes||High blood pressure||Ozena||Water retention|
|Cancer – colon||Diarrhea||High cholesterol||Pain||Whitelow|
|Cancer – duodenum||Dropsy||High triglycerides||Parasite||Worm|